One of our newest favorite homemade frozen treats in our home are my Coconut Sprinkled Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas!
Banana = Yummy
Coconut = Very Yummy
Chocolate = Very Very Yummy
Now, combine these three ingredients and you’ve got…
Banana + Coconut + Chocolate = EXTREME Frozen Yumminess!!!!
As you know, I absolutely LOVE chocolate and coconut is right up there! Pretty much anything that has chocolate or coconut in it wins me over. And I have found bananas to not only be a great easy to-go healthy snack (the greener the healthier) but the perfect easy substitute for a recipe that calls for a sweetener (sugar, honey, maple, molasses, etc.). So in our house, we always have several bunches of bananas, packages of organic coconut flakes/shreds and Enjoy Life dark chocolate in our fridge.
This recipe calls for 4 ingredients and is super easy to make. Baby K loves to help making (and eating) these too!
Here’s what we did:
Sliced up the bananas into pieces & chunks…
Dipped them into the melted chocolate…
Rolled the chunks into coconut and Baby K sprinkled coconut on the slices
Kept a handful of banana slices un-dipped for K to eat and then rolled them into coconut flakes. Put the trays in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then took them out to enjoy!
While K devoured the frozen coconut banana slices (especially good for teething!), my family enjoyed the rest!
Coconut Sprinkled Chocolate Dipped Frozen Banana
Grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free
This recipe takes about 30 minutes (10 min. prep & 20 min. in the freezer) and makes 3 full-size bananas, ~ 30 slices or 6 chunks
What You Need:
Ingredients (listed below)
small bowl (plastic is fine)
small ceramic or glass bowl
larger bowl/pan that the small bowl can fit in (for a water bath)
measuring cups & spoons
teaspoon (one you eat soup with)
medium-sized tray/pan lined with aluminum foil
1-2 C boiling water (for water bath)
1 C Enjoy Life dairy-/soy-/nut-/gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
2-3 tsp melted or solidified coconut oil (I use Trader Joe’s or Nutiva)
1 C finely shredded coconut flakes (I use Let’s Do Organic Coconut)
3 medium to large sized bananas sliced, cut up into thirds or left as whole
1. Pour coconut flakes into the small plastic bowl and set aside.
2. Pour chocolate chips and coconut oil into your small ceramic/glass bowl and place bowl inside your larger bowl.
3. Carefully pour boiling water into your larger bowl, creating a water bath to melt the chocolate.
4. Begin to gently stir mixture together and take the bowl out once only a few chips are left unmelted.
5. Drop banana pieces one at a time into the chocolate mixture, coat and then remove with spoon (if using the full-sized banana, spread the chocolate mixture onto the banana until well coated).
6. Either place chocolate dipped banana pieces right into the coconut, swirl around in the bowl until completely covered in coconut OR place dipped bananas onto your foil and sprinkle your desired amount of coconut on top.
7. Put your tray into your freezer for about 20 minutes and then serve (if you leave it in longer or you have a very cold freezer, you may want to leave out for a few minutes to defrost before eating…and that’s only if you can wait).
**Santa Monica Mama is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.